Saturday 19 October 2013

FAVOURITE THINGS

This project is about my favourite things. Material, sentimental, human or simply memories, we were asked to identify what it was about these things that made them special to us and communicate this graphically. After thinking about and listing some of these things, i came to the conclusion that my favourite things were often people who i idolise for various reasons and despite the fact there are many material things that i cherish the ones that came to mind when first barnstorming were more likely people and memories. I produced a set of 6 representations of these things using a manual stencil and spray paint technique, my favourite things are imprinted on my mind and they tend to regularly be on my mind whether it be visually or just thoughts so I’ve tried to create a very bold aesthetic so the same imprint is left on the demographic as a simple design communicates that these things are timeless to me. I took the images from the internet and created the stencil effect using photoshop, the black on gold works well and represents the significance of these things to me, the finish could be better on some of them and the Vans shoe did not come out as i had hoped due to the intricacy of the stencil.

Nas - Has been my my favourite rapper for a while and hip-hop is the genre i am most into, i listen to him almost every day.
J Dilla - His music has stuck a cord with me over time, his touch and ear for sampling and drums is amazing and his legacy will never be forgotten.
Vans - For as long as i can remember i have worn Vans shoes for skateboarding and in everyday life, the waffle sole is one of my favourite aspects and is good for performance while skateboarding, i also love the whole overall aesthetic of the shoes and sole in particular.
Skateboarding - Although i have not skated as much as in previous years recently it has always been something I’ve loved, learning new tricks, spending time with friends and the overall culture is a part of who i am. This particular skater is a favourite of mine also, Andrew Reynolds performing the trick he is known for along with his style of lifting his legs up high.
Thrilla in Manila - When it comes to entertainment, for me this is the pinnacle, the fight is an epic display of sporting excellence and i have watched it over and over again, the intensity and will power of both fighters is empowering and a spectacle to withhold, i also think the images and stills such as this one are iconic in sports history.
Kenny Powers - Eastbound and down is my favourite TV show, Danny McBrides brand of comedy is hilarious and his character is outrageous and narcissistic and his appearance and mannerisms are timeless entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment